Yes more dyeing and this time from a bag of sunflowers that Isabelle picked on her walk back from the gym. (Technically she stole these flowers… proof that she isn’t so “perfect”) While “googling”, I have seen many different colors coming from different types of sunflowers so I was curious as to what color I would get. (yes that is a subtle way of getting you to read or at least look at the rest of this post… admit it… you are wondering what color I will get too)
Above is the first 2 ply yarn made with my new spinning wheel (see It finally came! (my spinning wheel)). I put this in an alum mordant for two hours to prepare it for the dye.
I first thought about only using the pedals and plucked them off into a pot(this pot is a big mistake… you will learn about that later) Sunflower pedals are covered in sticky “guck” (can’t think of a better word) and all of the plucking made my fingers yellow and sticky.
After watching the water a bit I notice I was only getting a pale yellow and well I didn’t feel “yellow” so I decided to throw all of the rest of the flower parts in. (Geez… I didn’t have to pluck). The water turned an orange brown and well I didn’t feel like this either. I decided to play with PH. Making it more base made it turn to an ugly color of “gray/beige”. I tried adding vinegar and this made it turn a red orange. I kind of liked this color but you never know… with all of the dye experiment I have done lately I know that you can never trust the color of the water to predict the end result.
I decided that I had best do “trail” first. I dropped some cotton yarn in and it didn’t come out the expected color. (I will show you the color later) I decided that I would try the wool and hope that it wasn’t too ugly… You can see the wool in the dye bath above and I like the color of the water in any case.
Here is the wool out of the dye and it is definitely not the same color as the cotton trail… how confusing. I can’t imagine that cotton and wool would come out so different. I then noticed that the cotton strings that I tied the wool up were the same color as the wool.
Here are the two together… weird huh. I then took a closer look at the wool and noticed small parts of the yarn were green. After some thinking… I finally figured out the problem. The pot I used was not my typical “non-reactive” one and the trial cotton yarn sunk to the bottom and touched the pot. The wool floated and didn’t touch the metal of the pot with the exception of some small areas. Any part that touched the pot metal turned the greenish color while the parts that didn’t turned the rose color.
Here is the finished yarn next to the original color. Ben told me it was cool and it was “skin” color. Isabelle told me she didn’t like it. (the French harsh way… I think she said “that is an ugly color”) I like the color and I learned to be careful when choosing what pot to use to dye my yarn.
Thanks for reading this!